2.18.2012

engagement: how it went about


I am still in disbelief most days, until I hear phrases like "I'm the mother of the bride" {and realize that my mom is talking about me} or someone grabs my left hand to see the sparkly new ring that sits upon my fourth finger. All of these feelings and surreal moments started on the wonderful day of Febuary 9th.

I awoke that morning to a pitch dark room, because seeing as though I had not adapted to the time change, it was about 5 am and I was wide awake. I was wide awake and anxious to start the 1st full day of our vacation, in San Francisco. With my grandparents and 3rd grandma, e played tourist to almost every sight I was hoping for and showed Brian many of the wonders of San Francisco.

We started out and the twin peaks drove through Chinatown. We had clam chowder in a sour dough bread bowl and rode a cable car. We drove down the twisty street of Lumbard and walked hand in hand down fisherman's warf. We strolled up and down Pier 39 and giggled and the sea lions basking in the sun. And last but not least we went to my favorite: the Golden Gate Bridge.

This may be very iconic and touristy, but not where we go. It was here that I instantly was distracted with clicking the buttons of my camera to capture these perfect moments that the time of day was giving us.

Brian and I had taken a walk after we marveled at the brave surfers {in wet suits of course} who were braving the rocky shore to catch a good wave and coast into the shore. It was the perfect moment: Brian had his arms wrapped around me and we stared up at the wonder that the Golden Gate Bridge left behind in our eyes. I truly didn't believe that it could get any better...until Brian turned this moment into one that I would never forget as long as I lived.

It was there {with tears in our eyes} that he asked me to marry him, and it was there that I {after about 30 seconds of "oh my goodness" and "I can't believe this is really happening"} said yes as he slipped an amazingly sparkly ring onto my finger. I was in shock and truly didn't believe that he had pulled off keeping a secret like this from me for a few weeks.

The center stone on our engagement ring is a family diamond, from my great-grandmother. Even though I never got to meet her, it feels even more special to know that I am wearing a family heirloom that will be passed onto my grand children some day.

I couldn't have imagined a more special place, a more amazing ring, or a more spectacular man to spend forever with.

P.S. We celebrated this exciting occasion in a truly 'Ryan family' way: we went to Ghirardelli Square and had the most amazing Sundays for dinner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...