6.26.2012

bride DIY: coloring mason jar


I adore mason jars, cold hard fact. I have always been a fan and started collecting them in high school. I always dreamed of using them in my own wedding, so guess what project I started this week?

After a visit to the store with over 80 jars in tow I started in on my project. I have seen a few DIY tutorials about coloring mason jars to incorporate the colors of you special event, and I was instantly hooked. Mason jars with a hint of pink was the perfect way to add more color into our decor. It took a few rounds, but after some 'trial and error' this is my version of coloring mason jars:

How it works:
You add color to some mad podge and coat the inside of a mason jar. As the jar dries the mod podge will dry just about clear leaving you with a wonderful translucent hue of color.

Ingredients:
-mason jars {what ever size you desire}
-food coloring
-mod podge
-popsicle stick or something disposable for stirring
-wax paper
-paper towels
-heat proof tray
-disposable cups

Step #1:
In a disposable cup mix together mod podge and a few drops of food coloring. I added about 7 drops to a cup of mod podge. Add a few tsp of water to make the consistence a little more runny.
Step #2:
Pour a few tbs into a mason jar and swirl around, coating the whole inside of the jar. Hold upside down for a few minutes, pouring out excess mod podge back into the cup.


Step #3:
Place upside down on a paper towel to absorb the excess fluid for about 10 minutes. Place on wax paper and a heat proof tray.

Step#4:
Put upside down jars on the wax paper and in the oven {set on the lowest temp} for about 10 minutes. Turn right side up and keep them in the oven for another 30-40 minutes.

Step #5:
Take out of oven when there are no more streaks and let air dry for a few hours before you continue with your decoding.

This is such a cute way to add color in a very inexpensive way. It's also a great project for you to invite the girls over and make a day of it. My jars vary a little in color, but I really enjoy that each jar is different from the next.

And now for the obvious comment of the day: of course you can add any food coloring you want to the jars to make them fit with your style. I choose red food coloring to make my jars light pink and it turned out perfect. It pretty much looks like pepto or liquid bubble gum to me, but dries just about clear leaving the pink color behind. Perfect for our wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...